Emma by Jane Austen
My rating: 2 of 5 starsI know that Jane Austen’s books are important snapshots of a particular time and place but this really just read like a long soap opera to me- and didn’t pick up until the end. I didn’t find Emma very likeable but something I did like about it was the importance it put on social interactions. It made me feel as though the times when I think an interaction is awkward or strained; I’m not just making it up in my head. People have really been condescending and slighting each other or waiting for something to blow over for more than a hundred years. I was particularly unhappy with Emma when she sent her friend away for two weeks so that it wouldn’t be uncomfortable when she started dating the man her friend expressed interest in. Selfish! But the point is that people still behave this way. Of course, I was also thinking about Clueless the whole time I read it to make it more bearable. Not my cup of tea.
View all my reviews >>
1 comment:
hi kerry!
i read emma a few years ago. i always love jane austen movies b/c i'm a chump for period romance flicks, and if Colin Firth is in it even better! But i find her books are a bit boring to read at times. The movies obviously play the romance up while weeding out the drawn out scenes. I found Emma to be annoying as well and a bit of a brat. But i agree, the social interaction was interesting!
Post a Comment